Saturday, September 26, 2009

Halloween Treat Bag #2

When looking for something else, I came across a couple of older punches that I'd forgotten I had: a bare tree and a ghost. I also had a bunch of new Halloween punches that I'd bought at Michael's recently but hadn't yet used. I decided to make another treat bag. It's a simple project, but it gave me a chance to make at least a little something before I obey my conscience and get back to the things I really should be doing.

The ghost punch is by McGill. I don't know who made the tree punch, since there's no name on it that I could see. The small bats are from an EK Success border punch, and the tombstone & fence are Martha Stewart punches. I used the Stampin' Up Word Window punch to make the opening for the "fun size" (manufacturer's code word meaning extremely small) Twix candy bar.

The design for the treat bag is adapted from this tutorial:

Stampin' Academy treat bag

Although definitely "inspired" by this tutorial, mine isn't quite the same. For one thing, I have only guys in my house these days, so I eliminated the ribbon handle. Secondly, I have an extra fold. You can kind of see from the middle and right images how I did mine. Also, instead of using Velcro to close it, I have a half-circle cut with my Coluzzle to make a slot for the top flap to insert into. The half-circle slot is hidden by the tombstone.

One cool thing about the tombstone is that the RIP is embossed when you punch it. You can probably get a better view if you click on the photo to enlarge it.

Monday, September 7, 2009

Creepy Cottage--A Halloween Birdhouse

Sometimes I look through the gallery at SplitcoastStampers. When I find projects that I like, often they'll say that more information can be found at their blog. When I found an adorable birdhouse with a blog link, it led me to Barbara's World of Whimcees, where there was a tutorial, complete with a link to the Birdhouse template. You will need to scroll down a little for the tutorial, but it can be found HERE.

Although there is a link in the tutorial, I didn't really need a tutorial, just the template, which is by Nicole Heady and is found at her blog.

Birdhouse Template

It was very generous of Nicole Heady to share her adorable birdhouse design. Please respect her copyright and remember that it is for personal use only.

I punched a hole in black cardstock and then used a Spellbinder Nestabilities die to cut a scallop around the hole. I used the Martha Stewart spiderweb border punch for the edge of the roof (which I cut longer than suggested on the template). I used another Martha Stewart punch for the broken fence that runs around the birdhouse. I embossed the roof with the Cuttlebug spiderweb embossing folder. I stamped the birdhouse before assembling it. I used dollar stamps, probably all Studio G, that I found at JoAnn Fabrics a couple of weeks or more ago. I looked today, but the ones I used were no longer to be found there.

The birdhouse would hold a ton of Hershey kisses, or gummy worms, or some other sweet. Just be prepared to pour in a whole bunch!

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Wedding card

The daughter of a very dear friend got married today. I spent quite a bit of time making the card for her. First I applied alcohol inks onto glossy cardstock using blue, silver, and pearl. Then I used one of the new QuicKutz folders and my Cuttlebug to emboss the lattice design. I got out my stamps by Close to My Heart and my silver embossing powder for the cake and "Now and Forever." The scalloped circle was cut with one of the Spellbinder Nestabilities dies.

I glued tiny rhinestones to each crossing of the latticework that wasn't covered up by the stamped images or ribbon. The photo doesn't do it justice, because the rhinestones kind of look like little black dots or punched holes. Also, you can't really see how pretty it shines, but I was pleased with the final result.

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Halloween treat bag

Okay, it's early. I just felt like making something fun for Halloween even if it is almost two months away.

I started with a shopping bag die-cut from Accu-cut, but cut off the handles. Then I used the EK Success bat border punch (that I found clearanced at Michaels recently) around the top edge. After punching the top edge, I added a strip of black cardstock behind so the bats would show up better. I made holes for the ribbon handle using a Stampin' Up slot punch. The spiderweb stamps were mostly Studio G stamps, but one is by Hampton Arts. The Halloween words on the front are a Studio G stamp. The bats and circle are Martha Stewart punches.

It took enough time that I won't be giving these out to Trick or Treaters, but if I were doing a small party, they'd work for favors.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

September Make & Take

It's a new month, so I did a new Make & Take for the LSS. I used the Fall words Cuttlebug (CB) embossing folder, the CB leaf die and matching embossing folder, and a Studio G stamp.