Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Hand Created Backgrounds with Embossing Folders




Another simple way to create your own background is to use dry embossing. If you want to emboss an entire 12x12 sheet of cardstock, you can use the Fiskars embossing system or brass hand templates and a stylus with help of a light table. I don't have a lot of time to scrapbook, so I go for the really easy, lazy way: emboss a strip of cardstock using a Cuttlebug embossing folder. My layout "It's All Relative" used the Baby Words Cuttlebug embossing folder. Even my photo corners were embossed using a small Cuttlebug embossing folder; an embossed Winnie-the-Pooh was used in place of a corner; and even the heart frame was embossed with another Cuttlebug folder. Using so much embossing helped to unify the layout and tie it all together. The embossing also provided texture and variety instead of using just patterned paper and plain cardstock.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so interested in how you did this background! I've often wanted to do a Cuttlebug embossed border, but I always get the dreaded line for each pass through, and can't get the folders lined back up to prevent it. Any tips???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the lines will be there, but I try to place photos or journaling in such a way as to hide them. Also, some embossing folders are more obvious than others.

    ReplyDelete

Followers